Lenten Resources at St. Michael
As we enter into this 2017 Lenten Season, please join us at St. Michael the Archangel in these opportunities for prayer and penance.
- Reconciliation offered Thursdays of Lent 6-7 p.m., and Saturdays at 4 p.m.
- Stations of the Cross – Fridays at 7 p.m.
- Pray the Rosary – Saturdays at 4:40 p.m., before 5 p.m. Mass
Guidelines for Fasting
Ash Wednesday (March 1, 2017) and Good Friday (April 14, 2017) are days of abstinence for all Catholics over the age of 14. On these two days, fast, as well as abstinence, is obligatory for those from the ages of 18- 59. Abstinence means refraining from meat. Fast means one full meal a day, with two smaller meals and nothing between meals (liquids are permitted).
No Catholic will lightly excuse himself or herself from this obligation. All Fridays in Lent are days of abstinence from meat. Here again Catholics will not hold themselves lightly excused, but if there is a serious health problem, this obligation would not apply.
We should strive to make all days of Lent a time of prayer and penance. Following are several resources that can aid in finding different forms of prayer and penance.
Archdiocesan Lenten Resources
There are many excellent resources and events for the Season of Lent especially, this year during the Jubilee Year of Mercy, the Archdiocese of St. Louis has several unique opportunities for the faithful:
- Living the Eucharist Lenten program: http://www.livingtheeucharist.org/.
- Best Lent Ever daily reflections from Dynamic Catholic: http://dynamiccatholic.com/bestlentever/#signup
- Archbishop Carlson’s Lenten Day of Recollection at the Cathedral Basilica on Saturday, March 11, 2017
- USCCB: http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/lent/prayer-resources- for-lent.cfmPlease also take the time to visit http://www.archstl.org/bible to follow the events surrounding The Saint John’s Bible here in St. Louis thru 2017.