Summer Projects at St. Michael’s!
*Sniff, sniff* Do you smell that? It’s the sweet smell of tar and blacktop, rows upon rows of orange cones cover the roadways and parking lots. Construction season is here! And here at St. Michael the Archangel, while we may not be doing a multi-year on-ramp project (looking at you, MODOT), we’re getting in on the act in our own way!
There is a real sense in which our parish today rests on the generosity of those who have gone before us. We look around and see the fruit of the generosity of our parishioners – a school overflowing with excited children, a gymnasium bustling with activity, and of course, a beautiful church that has been our center of worship since 1939. Alongside all of those, our generous parishioners helped create two financial endowments – the St. Michael’s Endowment Fund, and the Joseph T. and Melba C Watson Endowment Fund – for the long-term success of our parish, and especially for capital improvements.
The recent success of these funds, paired with a generous High Growth Viability Grant from the Archdiocese, have allowed St. Michael the Archangel Parish the opportunity to make some much-needed improvements to our campus, and to carry out some preventative maintenance going forward. Here are a few of the projects we are working on this summer:
- In just another week or so, we will be replacing and updating partitions in the bathrooms in the school, providing a newer, cleaner look to our school.
- In early June (after the picnic!), we will be repairing, resealing, and restriping the parking lot. We plan on doing this in two parts, allowing us to continue to use the lot throughout the summer.
- Also after the picnic, we will be replacing the damaged fencealong the west side of the parking lot.
- In late June, we will be replacing the worn out carpet in the sanctuary of the church with beautiful area rugs, and will be restoring some of the damaged terrazzo flooringbeneath them. This might cause a slight inconvenience, as we will likely have to celebrate Mass in the gymnasium for a few days, but the end result should be wonderful!
- At the same time, we will restore the top level of concrete stepsleading into the main entrance of the church.
- In July, we will be replacing a number of windows in the school cafeteriaand add a venting system for the cafeteria. This should allow our heating and cooling systems in the school to run with much more efficiency, and even save us money in the future!
- Last year, the major project was to move the parish offices from the rectory to the current Notre Dame Center. Since this has been accomplished, the first floor of the rectory has been left open and unused. Before the Notre Dame Center was completed, Fr. Schroeder had drawn up plans to renovate the first floor of the rectory, and we are thankful to have the resources to move forward with this plan. Some rooms will be converted to a bedroom to house guests, additional priests, or in-residence seminarians. The rest of the first floor will be updated for the first time since the early 1990’s, with the eye to provide a long-term home for future priests to come. This project will begin towards the end of the summer.
- Lastly, in order to ensure the ongoing viability of the parish, we will replenish our financial reservesto a healthy level.
So as you can tell, it’s going to be a busy summer! I look forward to celebrating these new improvements with you in the coming months!